FONT

MORE STORIES


Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue firefighters extinguished the blaze, rescuing multiple dogs on July 5.

COURTESY PHOTO - Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue crews responded to a fire at an apartment complex in Rock Creek on Friday, July 5. An accidental kitchen blaze damaged multiple apartments in the Rock Creek neighborhood, first responders say.

Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue firefighters scrambled to the 18700 block of Northwest Rock Creek Circle around 4:31 p.m. on Friday, July 5, after reports of the blaze in a kitchen.

Firefighters were on site four minutes later, and determined that the quickly-growing flames were a first-alarm emergency. The first engine on scene was able to extinguish most of the main body of the fire, but the actions of an entire engine company "helped prevent rapid fire growth to other units," according to a news release.

Searchers found no residents inside the burned apartment, though several cats did not escape and were declared deceased. Crews rescued multiple dogs from the two neighboring units.

The blaze was under control by 4:53 p.m. No other injuries were reported, but the extensive fire damage to the involved unit and smoke damage to two others meant that three people will be displaced.

The cause of the fire was deemed accidental. "The fire started in the kitchen on the stovetop with hot oil," authorities said. "The damage value is unknown."


Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It costs just a few cents a day.)