Halloween and Your Pets
It's Halloween, a favorite holiday for humans but not so much for pets. Here are some tips from the ASPCA on how to keep your pets safe and happy this Halloween.
Candy is for kids (and adults) but not for pets! Chocolate is toxic for dogs and cats and even in small amounts can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Sugar free candy containing xylitol can cause seizures liver failure and death in dogs. If your pet has eaten chocolate or sugar free candy call your vet right away.
Keep Halloween decorations away from your furry friends. Candles can get knocked over, little paws can get singed by an open flame and pumpkins can get eaten. Halloween light strings are a hazard for pets as well, keep them out of reach.
Those little dogs in taco suits are so cute! But does the little dog really want to wear a taco suit. Some pets don't mind dressing up, other pets get stressed out. Make sure the costume doesn't limit movement, sight or breathing. Check to make sure little parts of the costume don't get chewed off and eaten. Have a dress rehearsal and if Fluffy freaks out and runs amok, let her wear her birthday suit instead.
Pay attention so your pet doesn't dash out when you open the door to Trick-or-Treaters. Also, make sure your pet has proper I.D. in case they do sneak out.
Nature's Pet Market in Gresham wishes you and your pet a safe and happy Halloween!