'Singin' in the Rain' sweeps OTAS honors
Lakewood Theatre Company recently held its annual meeting and presentation of the Oregon Theatrical Awards Society (OTAS) Awards.
During the annual meeting, LTC President Jeanne Denton recognized and thanked retiring board members Mike Dotten, Troy Schmit and Heather Bogaty for their years of service to Lakewood. In official business, Denton was elected president and Joann Frankel was named treasurer for one-year terms. Members elected to serve three-year terms were Fred Breuer, Frankel, Elaine Franklin, Ken Hick, Lisa Hilty, Steve Jurney, Jeff Kantor and Skip O'Neill. Elected for two-year terms were Linda Brown and Cyndie Glazer. Elected for one-year terms were Joan Freed and Nancy Hawkins.
LTC also conducted its 48th annual OTAS awards, commemorating the closing of its 66th season of plays. Past OTAS award winner Alan Shearman was welcomed back to take up his usual post as emcee for the evening. The awards were interjected with performances by Lakewood artists. "Singin' in the Rain," the season closer, swept the awards, following a sold-out run and acclaimed reviews.
Artists recognized during the evening included:
• John David Scott as Don Lockwood in "Singin' in the Rain" for Best Actor in a Musical
• Catherine Olson as Kathy Selden in "Singin' in the Rain" for Best Actress in a Musical
• Dennis Corwin as Cosmo Brown in "Singin' in the Rain" for Best Supporting Actor in a Musical
• Stephanie Heuston-Willing as Lina Lamont in "Singin' in the Rain" for Best Supporting Actress in a Musical
• Allen Nause as Henry Drummond in "Inherit the Wind" for Best Actor in a Play
• Clara-Liis Hillier as Margot in "Dial M for Murder" for Best Actress in a Play
• Don Alder as Inspector Hubbard in "Dial M for Murder" for Best Supporting Actor in a Play
• Olivia Weiss as Rachel in "Inherit the Wind" for Best Supporting Actress in a Play
• Laura Hiszczynskyj for "Singin' in the Rain" for Best Choreography
• Grace O'Malley for "Singin' in the Rain" for Best Costume Design
• John Gerth for "Inherit the Wind" for Best Set Design
• Kurt Herman for "Singin' in the Rain" for Best Light Design
• Marcus Storey for "Singin' in the Rain" for Best Sound Design
• Beth Noelle for "Singin' in the Rain" for Best Musical Direction
• Antonio Sonera for "Inherit the Wind" for Best Director of a play
• Ron Daum for "Singin' in the Rain" for Best Director of a musical
• "Inherit the Wind" for Best Play
• "Singin' in the Rain" for Best Musical
• Norman Wilson and Spencer Conway were awarded Best Featured Performers for their roles as Freddie Trumper in "Chess" and Tristram in "Taking Steps," respectively.
• The performers of "Pippin" were also recognized with a Board Award for Best Ensemble.
The Betty Kingsbury Heritage Award for exemplary service to the theatre went to Cyndie Glazer. A special Vounteer Award went Dick and Leanne Spence who were recognized for their many years of volunteer service to Lakewood.
The OTAS Awards are given each year to honor those involved in productions at Lakewood Theatre Company. They originated in 1971.
Nominees for the OTAS Awards are judged by a panel of judges who attend all Lakewood Theatre Company shows. Performers are judged on role conception, vocal/physical interplay and performance impact on the audience. Directors are judged on conception and interpretation of the play, use of performers as groups, and overall impact. All Lakewood Theatre Company members receive ballots that are tabulated by attorney Jerry R. Woods.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.