Live Music: It's time to party with Chervona
The Portland party band puts on its annual Russian Old New Year Celebration with the theme "The Future is Now," 8 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 11, at the Star Theater, 13 N.W. Sixth Ave.
Tickets: $22, $30 at door, see Facebook page, and www.chervona.com. The event has sold out the past eight years, so check for tickets.
It's a theme night and costume party featuring Chervona, which plays high-energy Balkan/punk beats, and other acts. There'll also be vodka, champagne and Russian appetizers.
Coming to venues this week (tickets still available at press time):
• Featuring several local acts, Portland's Folk Festival starts at 6 p.m. Friday-Saturday Jan. 10-11, at the Crystal Ballroom, 1332 W. Burnside St. Tickets: $25, $30 day of show, $40 two-day pass, crystalballroompdx.com.
n Grammy Award-nominated blues artist Cedric Benson performs at Mississippi Studios, 3939 N. Mississippi Ave., 8 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 11. Tickets: $17, www.mississippistudios.com.
• The Oregon Symphony plays Richard Strauss' "Also Sprach Zarathustra," which is part of Stanley Kubrick's movie "2001: A Space Odyssey," at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 11, 2 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 12, and 7:30 p.m. Monday, Jan. 13, at the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall, 1037 S.W. Broadway. Alexander Liebreich conducts; violinist Leila Josefowicz performs John Adams' "Scheherazade 2." Tickets: starting at $24, www.orsymphony.org.
• The Rock and Roll Playhouse band presents "Music of The Beatles for Kids," 11:30 a.m. Sunday, Jan. 12, at the Crystal Ballroom, 1332 W. Burnside St. Tickets: $15, $17 day of show, www.crystalballroompdx.com.
• The Metropolitan Youth Symphony collaborates with the International Youth Silent Film Festival on "Lights, Camera, Music!," as the orchestra, playing new arrangements, accompanies 10 short films by young filmmakers. It takes place at 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 12, at the Newmark Theatre, 1111 S.W. Broadway. Tickets: $16-$38, www.portland5.com.
• Acclaimed American guitarist Eric Johnson will play classics, present and past, at the Aladdin Theater, 3017 S.E. Milwaukie Ave., 8 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 12. Tickets: $35, www.aladdin-theater.com.
• Mezzo-soprano Camille Sherman is featured in Portland Opera's 2020 Resident Artist Series, 7 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 14, at Whitsell Auditorium, 1219 S.W. Park Ave. For more, see portlandopera.org.
• The annual Portland Old-Time Music Gathering, featuring Appalachian-style string band music, takes place at the Tiffany Center, 1410 S.W. Morrison St., and elsewhere, Jan. 15-19. For more: www.bubbaguitar.com.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.