'Tracksuit bandits' spree ends with 3 prison sentences
A string of nine convenience store robberies concluded with the announcement of lengthy prison sentences for three men dubbed the "Tracksuit Bandits" by police.
Portland police say the three defendants — each under the age of 21 — stole cash and other items from the stores in Portland, Gresham and Milwaukie between Dec. 9 of last year and Jan. 21, 2018.
They often pulled off more than one armed heist per night, including two on the night their luck ran out and their white Ford Excursion getaway vehicle was spotted making a U-turn on a dead-end street off Northeast Sandy Boulevard and was pulled over by a patrol car.
The men wore masks, track suits and were armed with firearms during the robberies. A witnessed had already ID'd their car during a previous robbery.
"These individuals, because of their actions, caused a lot of fear in our community," Multnomah County Deputy District Attorney David Hannon said. "The force they used could result in lasting emotional trauma for the victims. In one case, a store employee was grabbed by his shirt and had a gun pointed directly at his shoulder while being ordered to open the cash register."
While the duration of their spree is noteworthy, the Tracksuit Bandits seem to have made off with relatively little cash.
On Jan. 11, the bandits stole just $61 from the till at Sunny Corner Market in Clackamas County, according to a probable cause affidavit.
On the night of their arrest, Jan. 21, the bandits had just robbed the Food King Market on Northeast Prescott Street, but court documents state the men had about $280 on them, including $135 rolled up in a sock.
The three defendants were identified as:
• Kobe Cordray, 21, who recieved a 192-month prison sentence after pleading no contest to attempted murder and two counts of first-degree robbery.
• Lamarr Luster Jr., 20, who recieved a 168-month prison sentence after pleading guilty to two counts of first-degree robbery.
• Angelo Luster, 18, who recieved a 98-month prison sentence after pleading no contest to two counts of second-degree robbery.
Their robberies were listed as:
• Dec. 9, 2017 – 1:03 a.m. – Rounders, located at 1509 N.E. 181st Avenue, Gresham
• Dec. 20, 2017 – 9:21 p.m. – Smokers Zone, located at 16101 S.E. Division, Portland
• Jan. 2, 2018 – 7:30 p.m. – Little Store, located at 2936 S.E. Washington Street, Milwaukie
• Jan. 2, 2018 – 8:30 p.m. – Smokers Zone, located at 15400 S.E. Powell Boulevard, Portland
• Jan. 2, 2018 – 8:53 p.m. – Roll Your Own, located at 15801 S.E. Monroe Street, Milwaukie
• Jan. 11, 2018 – 9:08 p.m. – Sunny Corner Market, located at 5010 S.E. Monroe Street, Milwaukie
• Jan. 16, 2018 – 7:09 p.m. – All Stop Pipe and Tobacco, located at 14407 S.E. Division Street, Portland
• Jan. 21, 2018 – 7:04 p.m. - Food King, located at 2909 N.E. Prescott Street, Portland
• Jan. 21, 2018 – 8:14 p.m. – Neighborhood Market, located at 9061 N.E. Sandy Boulevard in Portland