Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Resident and pet dog displaced but uninjured; fire caused by hot oil on stovetop

COURTESY PHOTO: SCAPPOOSE FIRE DISTRICT - Firefighters from Scappoose Fire and Rescue and Columbia River Fire and Rescue responded to a house fire in the 32800 block of Scappoose Vernonia Highway last week. The home was declared a total loss after the blaze.Emergency crews responded to a Scappoose house fire Thursday, Aug. 22, that destroyed the home but caused no injuries.

Firefighters with the Scappoose Fire District were dispatched to the 32800 block of Scappoose Vernonia Highway when a house fire was reported around 7 p.m. last week.

A man who lived in the home escaped unharmed with his dog.

Twenty-two career and volunteer firefighters responded to the blaze with crews from Columbia River Fire and Rescue and Scappoose Fire District. Three engines, two water tenders, a support vehicle, three fire chiefs, a rescue unit and a medic responded.

Crews were at the scene for more than two hours, a spokesperson for the fire districts stated.

The home was declared a total loss, with the value of the structure and contents estimated at around $30,000.

Some fire damage on the exterior of an adjacent home was also reported.

The fire was believed to be caused by unattended hot oil on the stove.

Officials with the fire department remind residents that cooking with hot oil is extremely hazardous. A fully charged and easily accessible fire extinguisher should be kept near cooking areas as well.

Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It costs just a few cents a day.)

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine